Thursday, December 14, 2006

convert or die, sucka!

I know I have discussed with some of you the rumor of a Left Behind game where you attempt to convert "sinners" and kill them if they don't convert. Well, it ain't a rumor.

www.leftbehindgames.com

This may be a case where the bumper sticker that says, "Jesus, save us from your followers" could be taken literally. I am close to speechless, but talk amongst yourselves.

8 comments:

Toom said...

Of course, what do you think I got the kids?

hodge said...

I can see mr. t doing the voice!

Chunky A said...

Not that I condone this game...but I didn't see anywhere on the website where a "conversion or die" principle applied. The basic story that I gathered from the website was that of End Times warring, where there were battles between Angels and Demons and between those of the fictional factions of "Tribulation Force" and those trying to kill them for not being followers of the AntiChrist's movement. Once again, not saying this is a game I support...but I didn't see anywhere about death to those being unwilling to convert as the goal of the game. Please, correct me if I am wrong....I would really like to be more opposed to the game. AC

CT said...

BACK TO THE CRUSADES!!!!!!DOWN WITH THE INFIDELS!!!!!

Chunky A said...

Dude....we are the infidels (according to those who actually use that word).

Toom said...

Right, but i think if you went back to the Crusades, that word would apply from the Christian standpoint. At least from the movies I've seen.

I couldn't even pull up the website so if someone has more details, I'd be curious to know more.

Still a bit bizarre isn't it? Even if the convert or die thing isn't there and even if you don't think the theology is terrible, it seems marketing knows no bounds.

I'd like to see the post-mil version, "Finding Nero" where you are fighting off gladiators and lions and to win the game, you have to assasinate the emperor. Strength points earned for each Roman you prosyletize along the way.

A Catholic game SimPapacy, where you are a priest in a small European hamlet. Work your way up to the pontiff by selling indulgences, bribing influential Cardinals, and master-minding the pope's untimely demise. Rated M for indiscretions in the confessional.

Or maybe an "Escape from Worms" version where you are M. Luther and you get called before the Diet. Luther says, "Here i stand, God help me" and has to fight his way out. Shouts, "Sola!" everytime someone dies. Free buddies Calvin and Zwingli for assistance or play as them to help Luther.

CT said...

Yeah, I realize that.....I was drawing a link between the two.....How are the Crusades and Jihad that much different?(in action) And how is it different when someone in the middle east talks of killing Bush and when Pat Robertson says we should assassinate someone?

Toom said...

infidel - somebody who has no belief in the religion of the speaker or writer, especially Christianity or Islam

Not really all that scary, unless your mantra is, as Chris says, "Kill the infidels!" or you don't think the infidel should have rights. (see current Arab society, Serb/Croat conflict, Crusades, England's view toward Catholics/Protestants, depending on who is in charge, the Irish question, the persecution of the Scots, the American Puritans' view of the Indians and non-conformity among the "witches")