Wednesday, March 14, 2007

PRF NCAA Tourney contest

Updated Thursday: We have 10 submissions.


Final Four picks:
Florida 10
UNC 7
Ohio St 5
Kansas 4
Memphis 4
UCLA 4

Georgetown 2
Pitt 1
Texas 1
Va Tech 1

TAMU 1

The going out on a limb award: Hodge/Chunk - picked all #1 seeds.
Fastest elimination of a #1: Jam - Kansas in round 2; Toom - UNC in round 2; Doozie - UNC in round 2

Highest seed to reach FF: Jebo - VT(5)

Champs:

UF: 5
OSU: 2
Kansas: 2
UCLA: 1

Ascribing to such hatred of Gators that I believe they'll win it all and yet, I can't pick them so I'll go with Kansas because I seem to remember that Danny Manning fella was a good player:
Toom

Takin' the over:
170 Jam

Takin' the under:
124 Hodge

First Round Upset Picks (excluding 8v9)

Thong - 8

Doozie - 8
Juice - 7
Toom - 7
Jebo - 6
Stid - 4
Chunk - 4
Jam - 3
Steak - 3
Hodge - 2

Highest (or is it lowest) seed to win in first round:
Incredibly, Jebo wins this twice. NMSU (13) and Davidson (13)

UPDATE: Thong is on board the Wildcat express. Davidson (13), Oral Roberts (14)

Doozie: Oral Roberts (14), Penn (14)

Blindest allegiance to alma mater:
Also, Jebo with Davidson (13) going to Sweet 16. Aside from Steak (Vandy) I don't think anyone's alma mater made it in.

Multiple upset selections:
Winthrop - 6 (or is it ND hatred?)
GT - 6

Gonzaga - 6
Creighton - 6
Ark - 5
GW - 5
TT - 3
Illinois - 3

Davidson - 2
Old Dominion - 2
Oral Roberts - 2

Long Beach State - 2

Subscribing to the Levy theory that you'd better watch out for the playground guys:
Juice (Long Beach State over Tennessee)

Other Observations

Playing it safe: Steak - no one higher than a #5 in Sweet 16

Not playing it safe: Juice - ND in Elite 8, GW, Stanford in 16
Thong - Old Dominion in S16, GW in S16, Creighton in S16
Dooze - The Ive League boys in S16. Long Beach St. in S16. GW in S16.

Playing his wife's picks: Jam

Likin' Old Dominy: Stid, Thong

DoreDawgs?: Cantrell with the Dores in Elite 8; Jebo with Dores in EE

Believing in Pitino even though I have no idea how good they are and even though he failed miserably in bringing the Celtics back to prominence: Toom, with Louisville in EE

Maybe it wasn't Memphis? Maybe it wasn't Southern Summer Nights? Maybe it was you, Maybe it was me, but I picked Creighton to beat Memphis ... and it sure felt right: Hodge, Thong

Maybe people from Alabama truly ARE naturally slow?: Thong, who sent his picks in at the 11th hour.

The Thrillerdome award (aka, the anti-Big10 award): Tom Gardner, who picked Tech to make the S16, despite their abysmal road record. Also, Purdue - out in 1st; Wisconsin - out in 2nd; Illinois - out in first; Indiana - out in first; MSU - out in 2nd; OSU - EE

The "I'll take some white shooters over the brothers all day long" award: Jebo, Vandy in EE and BC over Georgetown

The "I hate Duke" award: Jebo, taking VCU in the first round

The "et tu, Brute?" award: Steak, with Vandy going down to WSU

The "I'm not going to pick them bc I know if I do, it'll never happen" award: Hodge with UNC going down to OSU

The "Anybody who beats my Tarheels must be National Championship caliber" award: Hodge, with OSU winning it all

The I miss football award: Tara for picking a Florida/OSU final

The "why can't college football have a playoff" award: Haynes, Florida v Texas

The "I may have a west coast bias" award: Chunk, Jebo

The "And I thought he was Reformed" award: Thong, taking Oral Roberts and the prayer tower, over 3 seed Washington St. Levy, also taking ORU.

The "inspired by Stidham's bold move to Birmingham and equally bold Old Dominion pick so I went ahead and put them in the Sweet 16" award: Thong

The "what the hell" award: Thong, with a 2nd round matchup of Davidson and Old Dominion

Starting to think Levy is right and Penn will upset A&M: Toom

And finally, the Illinois awards:

I picked them bc I'm loyal: AC

I'm not sure why I picked them: Doozie

"I'm going with Illinois because I seem to remember AC telling me they're pretty good. And they have this Kendall Gill kid who I hear is a nice player." - Toom




1 comment:

Chunky A said...

This thing is officially pissing me off....I have been trying to post comments for days....and it won't accept my password....or any password I have used on any account for the past 10 years. I had to re-up my account...so my name will probably be on here twice if that's possible......anyway.....

I had Texas A&M making the finals in one bracket...and even though I like them, I couldn't pick 'em twice. I AM officially the worst tournament picker ever....the best I ever did was when we randomly drew a name from a hat. My team made the Sweet 16 and I came one round away from getting my money back ($2, I think). I did have a friend in college, Ronnie Cannon, who would've won the ESPN Tourney Challenge had Syracuse beaten Kentucky ('95 maybe?)....but they didn't, and he didn't.

I will not apologize for my stance with the Fighting Illini....for both their basketball tournament abilities and their choice to keep the tribal mascot with all the crap that the NCAA has been doing about that stuff of late.