I rec you stay close to the nearest police precinct. And I'm serious about that.
Also, it is a little known fact that New Orleans has a GREAT WWII museum. To the extent that last time I went, place was packed with UGA folks. It closes fairly early so plan accordingly - and this isn't just bc I like history, it really is amazing.
If you must, walk down Bourbon Street but you will be disappointed. Canal St is touristy and that equals safety. I would have said check out Harrah's on Canal but then I went to Vegas.
You can't go wrong on food there, but be sure and try Banana's Foster at Brennan's. The wait will be ridiculous so go eat elsewhere and then hit Brennan's for dessert. It's really not that great, but it is the thing to check off your list.
Try some chicory (sp?) coffee and beignets if you really want to complete the tour.
For a fantastic website on what to do and see, go to http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/glbt/index.html
Given I was in seminary at the time, but when I walked down Bourbon street I asked the people I was with, "I wonder if Abraham and Sarah ever took a Friday evening stroll down main street Sodom?" From the homeless man giving out Gospel tracts to the topless women in the doorways, it's an experience. Do put your wallet in your front pocket if you want to keep it.
Yeah, the beignets are good, but I prefer Huey's in Buckhead over Cafe Dumond.
Like many who go to NYC to see Ground Zero, I would also want to see firsthand some of the post Katrina construction and even the yet-to-be rebuilt areas. The missions teams who go down there come back with a new perspective and a soft spot for the people of New Orleans.
3 comments:
Tipitina's Lounge - Legendary and the birthplace of New Orleans FUNK!
Mother's - Legendary Soul Food
I rec you stay close to the nearest police precinct. And I'm serious about that.
Also, it is a little known fact that New Orleans has a GREAT WWII museum. To the extent that last time I went, place was packed with UGA folks. It closes fairly early so plan accordingly - and this isn't just bc I like history, it really is amazing.
If you must, walk down Bourbon Street but you will be disappointed. Canal St is touristy and that equals safety. I would have said check out Harrah's on Canal but then I went to Vegas.
You can't go wrong on food there, but be sure and try Banana's Foster at Brennan's. The wait will be ridiculous so go eat elsewhere and then hit Brennan's for dessert. It's really not that great, but it is the thing to check off your list.
Try some chicory (sp?) coffee and beignets if you really want to complete the tour.
For a fantastic website on what to do and see, go to http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/glbt/index.html
Given I was in seminary at the time, but when I walked down Bourbon street I asked the people I was with, "I wonder if Abraham and Sarah ever took a Friday evening stroll down main street Sodom?" From the homeless man giving out Gospel tracts to the topless women in the doorways, it's an experience. Do put your wallet in your front pocket if you want to keep it.
Yeah, the beignets are good, but I prefer Huey's in Buckhead over Cafe Dumond.
Like many who go to NYC to see Ground Zero, I would also want to see firsthand some of the post Katrina construction and even the yet-to-be rebuilt areas. The missions teams who go down there come back with a new perspective and a soft spot for the people of New Orleans.
Post a Comment