Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Worthy or Not

This is getting some press and I'm sure most of you have seen it. UGA Pres. Michael Adams has proposed naming the athletic facilities after Vince Dooley and putting a statue of him in the area of the Butts-Mere building.....We all know these two guys don't think much of each other and I can't say that I'm a fan of Adams in the least either.....here's the rub......many are wanting to name the stadium after Dooley......either adding him to the name (Sanford-Dooley) and name the field itself after him (Dooley Field at Sanford Stadium)

I have to admit that I am not sold on this idea yet.....that's not to say that I disagree......I'm just not sure yet, and here's why........Save the Walker years I think that Vince had good records but not great records...he did have the NC in '80 and was in the discussion in '81 and '82.....Now I was too young....or not born yet to really know his full impact on the program.....But I am a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to Stadiums.....I have never liked the adding of names to already established and iconic arenas.......But that's just me......here's the other thing.....does anyone one not think the CMR will surpass Dooley in most stats as well as legend?....And if he does do we also add him to the name???


I guess my question is....who is and isn't worthy??

2 comments:

Toom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Toom said...

You are dead on. But what you are saying is what most GA people think and are afraid to say.

Adams can be an ass, so can Dooley, so let's cut the crap there. Naming the stadium after Dooley would be silly, but consistent with the trend of today to be "current-heavy" on our treatment of histories.

In one sense, he was a great coach, but I think it is fair to suggest he did about right given his opportunities. The rise of UGA football and UGA athletics during his tenure is consistent with the growth of NCAA sports, SEC football, and the state of Georgia in general. In short, Dooley is respected, but not a mythical, beloved figure. No disrespect here, but he's NO Bear Bryant.

To compare, one Steve O. Spurrier probably deserves to have the university named after him. He completely turned around a program that was mired in underachievement and his actions have changed the way football is played in the SEC. He is no politician though (again, contrasted with Dooley) and is not a nice guy.

I wouldn't have a problem with putting the statue close to the stadium, as long as the plan would be to have other statues as well. In other words, I don't think his achievements equal being THE MAN, to the level where you name the joint after him.

Auburn might choose to honor goodness, not greatness, that doesn't mean we have to.

As opposed to this ...

Steadman Vincent Sanford (August 24, 1871 – September 15, 1945), was President of the University of Georgia (UGA) in Athens from 1932 until 1935. He subsequently served as Chancellor of the University System of Georgia from 1935 until 1945.

Steadman Sanford took on the position of physical director of athletics in 1907. He was instrumental in the formation of the Southern Conference and its progeny, the Southeastern Conference. The building of the first baseball stadium (Sanford Field), a basketball facility (Woodruff Hall in 1924) and the current football venue (Sanford Stadium) all occurred due to Steadman Sanford.

Coach Dooley won a championship, won the SEC several times, and served loyally and should be commended and honored. I think honoring the football achievement, as well as his (probably more impressive) management of the athletics department, while providing a subtle nod to being a first rate horticulturalist, is entirely appropriate.

Plus, I'm reserving any major football recognition for the man we have now, confident his achievements will surpass any we have seen to date.