Thursday, April 03, 2008

Braves Fever!

Actually, baseball fever. I was just talking to a guy in the mall about a renewed interest in baseball this season. Why is that? He thought it had to do with the steroid thing winding down, I think Atlanta is desperate for some warm weather and a winning team. For me personally, it has a lot to do with Little League which also has me curious.

The way this thing works is you draw numbers. 1 usually picks the Braves, 2 picks the Red Sox, and so on. What next?

Coach David picked the Rockies. He is friends with Todd Helton going back to his days at Tennessee and so, we're the Rockies. Who is your 3rd team (home team Braves and America's Red Sox ineligible) and why? You can name 1 or do like I did and give a list.

1. Pirates - I have always liked the uniforms and I enjoyed my trip to that ballpark
If the Pirates are taken...
2. Royals - They have a boring hat, but they were my 2nd childhood team during the George Brett years.
3. Brewers - How cool would it be to have a bunch of 6 year olds as the Brew Crew? Maybe not so much. They would be #2 if they kept the yellow/blue hat with the glove.
4. Nationals - Baseball in the nations capital. Although I would have preferred a block 'W' as opposed to the old Senators script 'W' from the 60s. Check out the 1936 hat http://www.dugout-memories.com/wassen.html
5. Cardinals - Not crazy about losing to them back in 82 but love the hat and the tradition.
6. Tigers - Classic hat, no feelings toward the team
7. Reds - Love the hat, old school uniforms
8. Orioles - Not a bad looking hat.

Objectionable teams
1. Mets - Hate the Mets, hate the colors.
2. Yankees - Love the hat, love the city, hate the Yankees. We were the Yankees last year and I wore my hat in shame.
3. Phillies - Like the unie, hate the team
4. Dbacks - c'mon!
5. Blue Jays - I have always had an irrational dislike for the Jays. Oh, and the series they won in the 90s.
6. Twins - 1991 ... Kent Hrbeck ... need I say more?
7. Dodgers - I love their unies. Hate the Dodgers going back to our NL West days
8. Angels - I've never liked this name for a baseball team. Maybe WNBA
9. As - just say no to the worst unies in baseball
10. Cubs - I hate that little C. Love the old school Cubs hats from 1914 http://www.dugout-memories.com/chicub.html

2 comments:

CT said...

I'll give you the order 1-5 other than the two teams you mentioned....although I probably wouldn't take the Bo Sox second..but for the sake of argument we'll go with the established set up


1.Tigers....my family for the most part is from Detroit....they are my dad's childhood team and I have always pulled for them.....you also have the Magnum P.I. bonus points for me.
2.Pirates...Growing up I was a Pirates fan...actually I was a Pittsburgh fan...Steelers as well I sill have the flat top hat...Willie Stargell style
3.Yanks.....I know, I know...we have at least two on the PRF that will scoff at this (Toom and Juice) but I developed an affinity for them while I lived in NYC...mostly because I hated the Mets/Jets fans....If the original Brooklyn Dodgers were still around they would occupy this spot...shout out to 209 President Street!!
4.Cubs....just have a soft spot for them...not sure exactly why other than my brother's college roommate was Jodi Davis' little brother and I would get Cubs stuff from him.
5.Astros.......The old orange stripe uniforms and orange hat were awesome!....and I like the new uniforms as well..I was a big Mike Scott fan!

Toom said...

You actually have an excuse on the Yankees. I liked the Steelers too - even had a Steelers jacket in 2nd grade - but it was more a hatred of the Cowboys. As was my Celtics fanhood a reaction to the Lakers, and my Red Sox a reaction to the Yanks.

People wonder why I don't like Tiger Woods - Without a real dog in the hunt (Braves, Bulldogs) I always pull for the challenger. Not sure why.