My guess is that UF plays OU for the National Championship. UGA, Ohio State, Missouri, and Texas Tech appear to be the really good non-BCS qualifiers this year. Who would you most like to see UGA play, and why?
Currently, cfn.scout.com has UGA playing Ohio State in the Capitol One bowl. Not a bad match up. However, I don't see much value in beating a semi-mediocre OSU team. I'd rather play TT with the hopes of showing some SEC dominance over the Big 12, especially with UF/OU and UT/BAMA a possibility as the final four.
Suffice it to say, playing well and beating GT will be a big plus at this point.
4 comments:
I believe we will be in the Capital One playing the #2 Big 10 Team, Ohio State. This is great, frankly, better than playing in a BCS against a Utah, Boise, Hawaii, etc. and MUCH better than a Wisconsin, Purdue - 3rd tier Big 10 team. With the B10 champ getting in the BCS champ game and the runner-up having been in the Rose, that won't happen this year making the non-BCS games more attractive.
That being said, playing Texas Tech would be the most fun, however unlikely. As LSU continues to get exposed, the West is going to have a hard time providing the Cotton with a decent team so maybe this is the year they shake that up. Definitely a strange SEC year, per CFN bowl projections.
BCS - Florida
Sugar - Alabama
Cotton - Ole Miss
Liberty - Vanderbilt
Outback - SC
CFA - LSU
Music City - KY
Out: UT, Auburn, Ark, MSU
Even with what we all saw on Sat....I don't want any part of Texas Tech with the way our defense has played. The reason OU was able to do what they did was because of pressure from their front four....which we all know is lacking from the Dawgs' D....and we also don't want any part of our safeties having to figure out which routes to cover. With that said...my ideal scenario still involves Flordia State beating Florida and then Alabama beating Florida as well...which would give UGA the opportunity to play in the Sugar (against USC potentially.... I know, one year late). Realistically I think the Dawgs will end up in the Cap. One bowl....but against Michigan State...as I think Ohio State will get an at large bid to a BCS. It will really depend on what happens in the Pac 10....as Oregon State will play in the Rose if they win on Sat and USC will get an at-large bid for sure. If Oregon State loses, USC is in the Rose and no other Pac 10 team will get a bid. With two worthless automatic bids in order for the winner of the Big Least and the Atlantic Crap Conference, and with the tragedy of Texas Tech not being invited to a BCS game....I think its time the BCS reevaluate two things. 1- Mandating a minimum ranking or Win/Loss record for the automatic bid for Conf. Champs. 2- Even if the Min ranking or Win/Loss record is reached, a team that is greater than 10 spots ahead in the BCS rankings that would otherwise be left out (see Boise St. or a 3rd team from the Big 12 or SEC) will get that bid. I know this would not be popular....but it is what it is. Since I am preaching.....we might as well go ahead and force the Pac 10 to adopt Boise and Utah to become a 12 team conference with a Champ. game and force ND into the Big 10(11) also with a Champ. game. Just go ahead and drop the Big East from automatic BCS standing if they can't find enough quality teams to compete.
I actually think that Ok. State is gonna beat OU this weekend to send Texas to the Big 12 champ. and then to the National Championship where they will face Alabama (hopefully) or Florida (please, Lord, no). I also think Or. State is gonna choke sending USC to the Rose to face Penn State. The Fiesta bowl will have Utah facing Texas Tech (or OU or Texas, depending on how all of that actually shakes out). Cincinatti will play the ACC champ (someone actually has to win this right...they all keep acting like they don't want it) in the Orange. Alabama/Florida loser then plays in the Sugar vs Ohio State or Boise....and I can't see the sugar taking another undefeated non-BCS team after last year when the alternative could be to have the well-supported Buckeyes pay a visit. The only chance I see the Sugar passing on O. State is if Florida is the runner-up, which would be a replay of NCG 2006 which no one wants to see again.
A huge thing here is that if OU loses to OSU. Texas Tech will play in the Big 12 championship game not Texas which will be an interesting thing for the voters. You have to move Texas Tech above Texas because they beat them correct? maybe not. Texas gets booted out of the Big !2 championship game and the NC game along with USC(if Oregon State wins). I don't think Texas has any shot at any championship game at all. Then Penn state slides into the national title game being the big 10/11 champ against the SEC champ because "you are not allowed to play for the NC if you didn't win your conference"(sarcasm) see UGA 2007. In my opinion, UGA has no shot at a BCS even if Florida loses to FSU and Bama or bama loses to auburn and Florida. Because the SEC is not locked in to taking the highest BCS ranked team in the Sugar Bowl. A 2 loss UF or bama team becomes more attractive to the Sugar Bowl than UGA.
Spoke to a Texas fan last night. He was saying the only chance is a Baylor win over TT. Not gonna happen. Two schools of thought. With TT 'eliminated' because of their beatdown at the hands of the Sooners, it becomes a two team argument and Texas wins that argument bc they won the head to head. The other piece to that is Texas had the 'best' loss, losing to TT at the last second.
But OU has a competitive loss to Texas and a blowout of TT and has the PR in their corner, particularly if they beat OSU.
I don't have a dog in the hunt, I just want whoever it is to gird up their loins and beat Florida. Or Alabama. But mainly Florida.
Post a Comment